Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A head nod, a smile and a hello

This morning I went to Palos Hospital to pray with Warren and Peggy Skogland. Peggy is having surgery today.

As you walk in (by the outpatient side) the hospital has greeters that smile, ask how you are doing and generally brighten up your day.

As I was walking down the hallway, and passed by several people walking in the opposite direction, it got me to thinking. How do I respond when people walk by me?

Do I:

A. Do nothing. Just keep my eyes forward and keep walking.
B. Look at the person but don't nod my head or smile or say anything.
C. Look at the person but nod my head but don't smile or say anything.
D. Look at the person, nod my head and smile but don't say anything.
E. Look at the person, nod my head, smile and say, "hello".

How do you normally respond?

And what do you think about someone who acknowledges you as you walk by them?

Does it make you feel good - or creep you out?

Does your response depend upon the age or gender of the person you are walking by?

Does it depend on the mood that you are in?

Does it depend on the culture you are in?

Does it depend on the season of the year? I would say, "Merry Christmas" during the Holidays and got a mixed response.

I don't think any of us has a problem nodding, smiling and saying hello inside the church building. Or at school. Or at our work.

There is an old joke that goes like this:

"Jim Dunn was serving as the pastor of the First Baptist Church, and his wife, Gladys, was very friendly and welcoming to people.

One particular Sunday when the sermon seemed to go on forever, many in the congregation fell asleep.

After the service, to be sociable, she walked up to a very sleepy looking gentleman.

In an attempt to revive him from his stupor, she extended her hand in greeting, and said, "Hello, I’m Gladys Dunn."

To which the gentleman replied, "You’re not the only one!"

I can hear you groaning right now (if you get the joke).

Greetings are important.

I am told that our day is jump started by the first person we meet. If we have a negative experience we tend to have a negative day, if someone greets us with a smile and a warm word, we tend to have a great day.

But what about the person you walk by at the mall, or in the hallway of a hospital?

I would like to think that a nod, a smile and even a hello is okay.

No comments: