Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Depending on the Holy Spirit

I am in a season in my life where I am totally dependant upon the Holy Spirit. There is much going on.

From leading our church family in a building relocation program, to bringing on a new youth pastor, to leading and preaching, I can't do all of it without God.

I need the Holy Spirit.

Pastor and author Tony Evans says: "One day I was in an airport rushing to catch a plane. I was sweating and puffing when I looked to my right and saw a man walking half as fast as I was, but going faster.

He was walking on a moving sidewalk.

When we walk in the Spirit, he comes underneath us and bears us along. We're still walking, but we walk dependent on him."

Yet, somehow, someway, I think that's where God really wants me to be.

A.W. Tozer has written: "In many Christian circles the Holy Spirit is either neglected, forgotten, or misunderstood. The One given to unite the body of Christ is the center of controversy. This is a nettle which ought to be firmly grasped. So often Christian work is so rigidly programmed that it seems we need no longer depend on Him--yet Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing."

Maybe this analogy would help us.

Take a glove.

By itself, the glove cannot do anything by itself, but when my hand is in it, it can do many things.

It is not the glove, but my hand in the glove that acts.

We are gloves. It is the Holy Spirit in us who is the hand, who does the job.

We have to make room for the hand so that every finger is filled.

My prayer today for myself and our entire church family is this:

"Father, fill us with you Holy Spirit. Lead us today. Give us the strength that we need to fulfill the vision and mission that you have given us. We love you God - Amen."

Will you join me in praying that prayer today?

No comments: