Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Leadership principles

My father has been a leader for close to 50 years. While we were in Tokyo, sitting outside drinking some tea and coffee, I spontaneously asked him, "Dad, what are your top five leadership principles?"

The next day, after meditating on the question, here is his response.

5 great leadership principles.

He writes:

"George, by asking me about the top five leadership principles, you challenged me to think about it. As you know the five principles listed below are sort of “off the top of my head,” but I think they are close to what I would conclude. These, specifically, are the top five things that I think are in my job description in leading a team of people. In my case this includes missionaries as well as employees. In a broader context I might give attention to other points as well.

1. Vision. As the senior leader my number one task is to state the vision (and mission) of our organization clearly and to inspire people to see and follow the vision. The vision should be established in our organizational documents. When I interview new people (especially missionaries) I try to find out what “makes them tick” so that I can related their potential work with us to our vision. If their vision is too far away from ours, they probably should work elsewhere. With regard to people who already are on staff, I try to inspire them to fully subscribe to the vision. Sometimes this means placing them elsewhere in the organization.

2. Production. Obviously, the team must be productive. What is done should be in harmony with the vision. People function best when they are using their “gifts” in their work. It is important to set goals. These goals should be measurable. Most management texts place a strong emphasis on measurement. If measurable goals are set, then it is easier to measure. Admittedly this is difficult in terms of measuring spiritual qualities. If possible there should be milestones to measure the progress toward objectives and initiatives. The team can share in doing all of this.

3. Cooperation. It is important that the team work in harmony. This includes knowing what each of the other team members are doing and knowing when each one impacts others on the team and what they are doing. Obviously, communication is a key element and usually requires group review of goals and activities. Perhaps here, more than any other time, is when conflict can potentially arise. It always has been my view that some “conflict” is creative and can lead to serious consideration of options. Talking about options leads people to really think things through.

4. Significance. I believe that a sense of significance is one of the most powerful motivating forces known to man. The desire to be significant almost never dies in the human mind and heart. So it makes sense that we find ways to foster a sense of significance in those who work with us. Clearly, knowing that the whole organization is having a great impact is important. A “pat on the back” helps, but in a deeper way, people want to know they are making a difference. When they know his, they “feel good” about themselves. As individuals we need to be faithful even when we don’t feel significant or are criticized, but the task of leadership is easier when they do. One of the prices of senior leadership is being faithful under difficult circumstances that would wilt the motivation of others.

5. Evaluation. A lot of management theory puts a strong emphasis on personnel evaluation. I am sure that management experts would say I am weak in this area. When people are evaluated, they may outwardly receive it, but inwardly I think we pay a price as leaders for possible hard feelings. It is easier to have the group evaluate its work as a group and to plan for better ways to do things. As far as individuals are concerned, I try to talk with them in terms of how things can be done better. In other words I try not to just “criticize” what they are doing but to suggest ways to do things better."

Great stuff. Hope it helps you today.

No comments: