Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I wouldn't want to be in first place over God.....

American Idol has been a hit show in our country for several years now. The "star" of the show is its creator, Simon Cowell.

His criticism or praises can make or break an upcoming performer.

In a recent poll, it was found that Simon Cowell is more famous than God or the Queen.

The National Kids' Day survey asked 1,600 under-10s from around the United Kingdom who they thought was the most famous person in the world.

The "American Idol" ("X" factor) judge came first, with God and the Queen in second and third place.

Does that not show how far down on the totem pole God as fallen? Second to Simon Cowell?

It brings to mind the quote from John Lennon in speaking of the Beatles. He said back in 1966, "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now. I don't know which will go first - rock n' roll or Christianity."

Fourteen years later, Lennon was shot dead by Mark David Chapman in New York City on December 8, 1980.

If I were Simon Cowell, I would not want the "honor" of being more popular than God.

Isn't one of the ten commandments, "You shall have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3)?

What that commandment means is that God, and only God must be first place in my life.

God says, "I deserve to be number one. I created you. Put me first in your activities, put me first in your time, put me first in your relationships, put me first!"

When General Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, was asked, what had been the secret of his success, he replied, "From the day I got the poor of London on my heart and a vision for what Jesus Christ would do for them, I made up my mind that God should have all of William Booth there was; and if anything has been achieved, it is because God has had all the adoration of my heart, all the power of my will and all the influence of my life."

As I sometimes pray, "More of God, less of me." Will you join me in that prayer today?

No comments: