Total Pageviews

Monday, February 16, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

Last night's life group meeting was great. I brought an "icebreaker" question, "what are the 3 questions you would ask God when you go to heaven?" (We limited ourselves to one.)

Here are some of the questions:

How much faith does it take for someone to be healed?

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Why do Christians covet other people's spiritual gifts?

Why do people die in the prime of their lives?

Why do great works, done by great people, suddenly fall by the wayside?

As we were asking the questions, it occurred to me that our faith, our growth in God is not found in the answers, but in the questions that are asked - or the pilgrimage that we take as we see the answers.

It's the questions that drive us closer to God, not ultimately finding the answers. There are some questions that will never be answered in our lifetime on this planet. And that is the way it is meant to be.

There must always, by the very nature of who God is, be a mystery about God. An "unfigureoutable quality."

In the times of Jesus, his culture was very accepting and understanding of the mysteries of life. Everything to not have to be figured out.

In the midst of all of our questions, we can still "dance" before the Lord with a knowledge that because he is God, we can rejoice!

Some "heavy" thoughts, I know, for a Monday morning, but so true.

One thing you might do is to study all of the questions asked by God's people to God throughout the Bible. Interesting study.

After yesterday morning, I received several, "have you been reading my mail", type responses to my teaching. The subject? Relationships, conflict, dealing with conflict.

More than anything else - after a teaching such as I gave yesterday - it brings me back to the continual realization that on every chair in our big room are hurting people - people dealing with the wounds that life can throw at us.

Couldn't really get into the basketball all-star game this year. I'm not really sure why, perhaps it just that the players are so, how can I say it but in a crass way, so "full of themselves". And is it only me that thinks that tattoos all over a body is just a little "over the top"?

I really like Lawrence Fishburn on CSI. He's a great actor that will bring a lot to the program.

Spent Valentine's Day evening with Debbie on Thursday night. We had a great time - and I bought her flowers. It's amazing how our love for our spouse can continue to grow, especially after 28 years. Debbie, if you are reading this - I love you!

No comments: