Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Priorites and busyness

I was talking with a friend today about being pulled apart in all different directions and finding ourselves wondering which way to go and prioritizing our time. That's so true.

I feel that way many times. With the relocation project, the stewardship campaign, ministering to peoples needs, leadership meetings, preaching and teaching, etc. I know how it feels. I would guess you do too.

Someone once said, "there are two things that are most difficult to get people to do: to think and to do things in order of importance."

I like what John Maxwell writes, "Success can be defined as the progressive realization of a predetermined goal."

Bob Russell shares a goofy story that illustrates this:

Robert Russell tells this story:

He writes, "There is a huge rivalry in college basketball between the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky. The story is told that at one of the games between the two schools, an elderly woman was sitting alone with an empty seat next to her. Someone approached her and said, "Ma'am, I have rarely seen an empty seat in Rupp Arena, let alone at a game between these two teams. Whose seat is this?"
The woman responded that she and her late husband had been season-ticket holders for 28 years, and the seat had belonged to him.

"Well, couldn't you find a friend or relative to come to the game with you?" the observer asked.

"Are you kidding?" she replied. "They're all at my husband's funeral."

Priorities.

So many times we spend 80% of our time doing doing the 20% of the things that don't really count, that aren't productive - when instead we should be using 80% of our time doing 20% of our activities that produce the most results.

Managers call this ROI time - the "Return On Investment" time. IN other words, use the maximum time on those few things that get the greatest results.

As we know, good can be the enemy of the best.

How can I decide what is good and what is best?

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Is what I am doing fulfilling the overall purpose of my organization, family, or church?

2. Is what I am doing within the realm of my giftedness and calling? Why we are all called to step outside the realm of our area of expertise, we all are called to "do whatever is necessary" from time to time to fulfill, in our case, God's kingdom work.

3. Is what I am doing better done by someone else. Delegation is not dumping, but good delegation can be win-win for everyone.

4. Is what I am doing rewarding? Life is too short to not be fun.

Just some thoughts on a busy Tuesday.

No comments: