Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Busyness

While I am always busy, it seems like lately that there has been an explosion of busyness and things to do. This week has presented some real challenges. There are conflicts to be dealt with (between church family members), offenses to overcome (between church family members)and problems to be solved.

As of this week, I am now the pastor of Stone Church.

I don't mind being busy, in fact I thrive on it, I feel I work best when the wheels are turning and every thing is in motion and things are moving forward.

However, after all of these years, I know I can't let my busyness keep me from meaningful conversations with God.

In data collected from over 20,000 Christians in 139 countries (though mostly in America) and between the ages of 15 and 88, The Obstacles to Growth Survey found that, on average, more than 4 in 10 Christians around the world say they "often" or "always" rush from task to task.

About 6 in 10 Christians say that it's "often" or "always" true that "the busyness of life gets in the way of developing my relationship with God." Christians most likely to agree were from North America, Africa, and Europe.

While busyness afflicts both men and women, the distraction from God was more likely to affect men than women in every surveyed continent except North America, where 62 percent of women and 61 percent of men reported busyness as interfering with their relationship with God.

By profession, pastors were most likely to say they rush from task to task (54 percent), which adversely affects their relationship with God (65 percent).

"It's tragic and ironic: the very people who could best help us escape the bondage of busyness are themselves in chains," said Dr. Michael Zigarelli, who conducted the study at the Charleston Southern University School of Business.

Father, I long for your spirit. I breath in your presence and long for it in the midst of a dry and thirsty land. Bless all of us, oh God, this day, with a renewal of your touch upon our lives. Maranatha. Even so, come Lord Jesus.

No comments: