Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The difficult road

One of the things I am learning is that the easy road is not always God's will for our lives. Many times we have bought into the mindset that the easy path is the right path. Not so. God generally has other ideas.

I'm not one to relish pain. When I am sick, being the typical male that I am, my belief is that the whole world must stop and pay attention to my needs. Isn't Debbie lucky to have me!

Yet at the same time, I am becoming comfortable with the fact that when God leads to on a road that includes persecution, pain and suffering, I can rest in the fact that I am exactly where he wants me to be.

I've heard it said, "the safest place to be is in the center of God's will." It may be semantics, but that's simply a myth. Sometimes God's will does include suffering and pain.

We must be willing to "step up to the plate" anyway and take our hacks, letting the ball fall where it may.

When Scottish explorer and Presbyterian missionary David Livingstone was working in the African interior he received a message from the London Missionary Society that said "Have you found a good road to where you are? If so, we want to know how to send other men to join you"

Livingstone wrote back, saying "If you have men who will come only if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

The Bible doesn't promise that all our paths will be easy ones, but it does say that if we obey God and walk by faith we are assured a future reward.

By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. (Hebrews 11:8-10)

I just want to walk in God's will. How about you?

No comments: