Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Hulkster

I was in a gift shop at the Tokyo Narita airport last Saturday and look up and who did I see? Hulk Hogan. The guy is huge.

His arms are bigger than my thighs. Bandanna on his head, fu Manchu mustache, he carries an imposing figure.

A mountain of a man.

His daughter was with him. She's a tall blond teenager. Since I saw them, I have learned that they have a family reality T.V. show.

I went up to "the hulkster" and asked him for his autograph. As he was signing it, he boomed out, "where are you from brother?"

I said rather meekly, "Michigan."

He signed his name and about that time a Japanese guy came over and asked for his picture to be taken with Hulk.

A couple of observations:

First, when we see somebody famous, we think that we know them because we see them on Television. While there is some connection, the connection is not as deep as we think it is.

Ripley's believe it or not - people are not the same as they act on T.V.

Television has become so ingrained in our culture that the T.V. can be a part of our extended family - or so we think.

Some people feel closer to characters on reality T.V. shows or sitcoms than they do their own family.

The other thing is this - that despite ourselves, when we are in the presence of a celebrity, we stand back in awe. There's a little boy or little girl in all of us that gushes over the person that we see in front of us.

I can't help but think how God feels about all of this. The creator of the universe can be taken so lightly in our lives. What would happen if Jesus walked into the room where you are at right now?

Would you be in awe, gushing over the fact that the son of God was in the room? Would you feel that you really knew Him?

Yet the fact remains that He is in that room with you right now. He's ever present. Always there. We sometimes forget that.

Father, I thank you for your consistent presence. Help me to recognized you in my life on a daily basis. I love you Lord.

No comments: