Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Compassionate self-assertiveness

I need to share this with you. I saw the "debate" between Rosie O'Donnell and Elizabeth Hasselback. It really was no debate at all.

Rosie's downhill slide is something I see even amongst those in the kingdom. Gradually, over a period of time, there is a lack of caring about what people think of you.

Now don't get me wrong, some of that is good. If we lived by other people's opinions of us, life would be a yo-yo. One minute you're the hero, the next minute you're the zero.

Yet at the same time there is a growth curve for all of us in learning how to express ourselves in the midst of criticism and opposition. I have done really well in the past with this - I have also failed miserably.

Being self assertive and tender at the same time is a relational tightrope that we walk, especially as Christians. We want to act and react in a godly way - yet at the same time we don't want to be a pushover, someone's doormat.

Meekness is not weakness. It is power and strength under control.

I applaud Elizabeth for standing up for herself in that "debate", not because Rosie is a lesbian or anything like that - but because as Tommy Lee Jones once said in the movie "Lonesome Dove," and I quote, "I really can't stand rudeness in a man (woman)."

May we as a society become less "rude" and more compassionate in our self assertiveness.

Just a thought.

No comments: