Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Celebrating easter

Jesus is risen!

I am grateful for that. Without the resurrection our faith is nothing as Paul writes.

I was talking with a friend today, and we both concurred that we don't "make as big a deal" about Easter as we do other "holidays" like Christmas.

To be candid with you, in one sense I'm glad we don't, for otherwise our culture would commercialize it to the extent that we would lose it's meaning as we have done with Christmas.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Easter is a powerful, personal important remembrance for all of us.

But by and large, outside of Easter eggs and the bunnies thing, etc., it remains a "religious" holiday meant to help us all focus in on the fact that Jesus was born, lived, died and came back to life.

So, this Sunday, let's celebrate!

As Joseph Bayly writes:

"Let's celebrate Easter with the rite of laughter.
Christ died and rose and lives.
Laugh like woman who holds her first baby.
Our enemy death will soon be destroyed.
Laugh like a man who finds he doesn't have cancer or he does but now there's a cure.
Christ opened wide the door to heaven.
Laugh like children at Disneyland's gates.
This world is owned by God and He'll return to rule.
Laugh like a man who walks away uninjured from a wreck in which his car was totaled.
Laugh as if all the people in the whole world were invited to a picnic and then invite them."

1 comment:

Beth said...

I was just reading some of the first blogs that were created here a few years ago, and noticed one of them suggested we talk about the contents of the sermon. So here goes...I think it's so important how pastor has all of us speak the prayer of salvation together, giving encouragement to others. I'm also thankful that God heals relationships!! When we feel things are so bad that there's no chance of turning around, God can create a miracle. If not heal the relationship, at least heal people separately. I do however, have one pet peeve that I feel needs to be spoken of. It saddens my heart that week after week I've noticed that people seem to not really even be going through the motions anymore. I rarely see people raising their hands to worship God without being told to do so. We don't need to be invited to do that, it's a very important part of worship. Sometimes I feel like I can literally feel God's hands holding mine when I am worshipping him. It's encouraging to me to have others raising their hands without being told. Now, it took me a long time to get to where I felt comfortable doing that, so I understand others need to be told sometimes. But let's all learn to let go of what others think and just worship God whole heartedly!!