Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 01, 2005

You just don't know do you?

You never know what a day brings. That's what makes life exciting, but at the same time terrifying for some.

You, like me, have watched the devastation in the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama from hurricane Katrina.

While the disaster has not caught us totally by surprise, the long reaching affects of the hurricane have. Who could have predicated the flooding in New Orleans. Who could have predicted the devastation in Mississippi?

Even as of today we don't know how many people died.

We just don't know what a day brings.

The Word says in Proverbs 27:1, "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you don't know what a day may bring forth."

We really don't - do we. Oh, we think we do. We have our plans and goals and minds set on what we see for the future, but ultimately life is full of surprises and twists that show that we are not in control.

Each day is a gift from God.

How do I handle the tumultuous riding of the seas of life? By trusting in God.

The Psalmist cries out, "but now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you".

And don't forget, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

When life throws you a curve ball, and you cry out for some form of stability, the one constant is God's presence and unconditional love for you and I.

I'm reminded of that today, for you just don't know do you?

2 comments:

Jon said...

I just finished reading a Christian fiction book called, "Blind Sight" by James W. Pence. In it, the main characters have suffered through many trials and continue to do so throughout the book...but the verses that resonates through the story line is Habakkuk 3: 17-19 which says, "Fig Trees may not grow figs, and there many be no grapes on the vines. There may be no olives growing and no food growing in the fields. There may be no sheep in the pens and no cattle in the barns. (18) But I will still be glad in the Lord; I will rejoince in God my Savior. (19) The Lord God is my strength. He makes me like a deer that does not stumble so I can walk on the steep mountains."

God is our strength and our comfort; when we stumble and fall, He helps us to rise again. When we are weak, He carries us; when we are lonely, He comforts us with His presence. Even when we sin, God still loves us though He can not stand our sin. His love is unconditional and unswerving...I can rest in that!

Be with God today

Jon

Anonymous said...

I have been moved by the devastation I have seen on the TV. It makes me contemplate how I would react if everything I had were destroyed tomorrow. Am I too wrapped up in material things? Who would I turn to for help? It is mind boggling how these people are going to cope, how they are going to rebuild their lives. But then I remember about Job. Everything he had was taken away but God restored it 10 fold. Would I have faith like that? I just don't know... It's easy to say I will trust in God while I sitting here in my nice house, with my nice family and my nice dog. It's all something to think about.