Total Pageviews

Monday, January 04, 2010

Unconditional friendship

You probably won't think that this is funny unless you work or minister full time with people.

Working with people can be the most rewarding thing in the world - or the most frustrating.

What am I referring to?

I bought a t-shirt over the holidays that said this on the front:

"I can only please one person each day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either."

Some days (and they are few and far between) I just want to wear that t-shirt where ever I go.

You see, working with people is not like building a house for instance, being a carpenter or an iron worker.

Those guys (or gals) get to physically see the results of their hard work at the end of the day - if not at the completion of the project.

People aren't like that.

You and I are never fully "completed". We are always a work in progress. I know that I am.

That's why it's important to know that God never looks at us as we are - but as we will and can be.

I am thankful for that.

I need to do the same with those I minister to.

God doesn't call me to change anyone (only the Holy Spirit can do that) - but to continue to love them and and be their friend.

Be their friend no matter what. Let's call it "unconditional friendship."

More than receiving that type of friendship this coming year (2010), my goal is to give that kind of friendship - to be a friend that continues to like and to love no matter what.

No comments: