Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A "miracle" and a prayer

I experienced a "miracle" today. Maybe you don't think it is one - but if you have the same commute I do - you would be in agreement with me that it was nothing short of extraordinary.

On my way to work this morning, I hit every green light from 183rd, all the way to the church. Every one. Even the one at 123rd and Ridgeland.

I guess God knew I needed something like that to kick start my day.

I am thankful for the "little things" like that - that can brighten up our day.

Now then, on the a prayer.

I am thankful that God hears our prayers no matter what.

One time in our previous church as pastor, I was teaching on the subject of worship and correct ways of conversing with our Father God.

I must have left out a key component of prayer, for a friend of mine refused to pray in front of me. She was too intimidated, saying, "I don't know if I can pray in the right way."

Let me jump in here right now and say that ultimately, the Father takes and even relishes our prayers - just as they are.

There is no "Grade A" or "Grade B" or Grade "C" in our prayers with God. Nor does God grade our prayers on a curve. In fact, He doesn't grade them at all. He accepts our conversations with Him as they are.

Timothy Jones writes in the book, "The Art Of Prayer":

"We don't like to stand speechless or stammering before God, but that doesn't mean God holds it against us when we do.

I remember a vacation with my parents in France when I was in high school. I had just completed two years of French, hardly enough to make me fluent. Still, there we were, tourists wanting to make the most of our time.

So when we needed a bathroom, when we wanted to find a café, or when I lost my eyeglasses on the steps of the L'Eglise du Sacré-Cœur, I falteringly used my butchered French. I was trying—to the politely suppressed laughter of others—to speak the language.

But I remember more than the townspeople's bemusement. I remember how they warmly received my efforts. They strained to hear past my fractured sentences. They honored me by responding.

Is God any less generous?"

I like that. I don't have to impress God or make him think that I am something I am not. I simply pray. And converse. And share. And God responds.

God hears everything that comes out of my heart and my mouth.

My regrets
My complaints
My thanksgivings
My praise

Because of his grace, and not my eloquence, I can pray.

Even if it is not impressive.

No comments: