Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One step backward - two steps forward

In anything in life, there are times of success and failure, victory and defeat.

We take one step forward and two steps backward.

Listen to this story:

"One winter morning, an employee explained why he had shown up for work 45 minutes late. "It was so slippery out that for every step I took ahead, I slipped back two."

The boss eyed him with suspicion, and asked, "Oh yeah? Then how did you get here?"

The employee said, "I finally gave up and started home."

One step forward, two steps back. Ever felt like that was you?

Bruce Springsteen sang about it:

"When I look at myself at myself I don't see
The man I wanted to be.
Somewhere along the line I slipped off track
One step up, two steps back."

The Bible has a word for those backward steps: sin. It also has a solution: repentance. When we find ourselves moving in the wrong direction, we need to repent.

We need to do what the above mentioned employee did—head back home. That will get us where we need to be.

Isaiah said, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isaiah 30:21)

Let's all listen to that voice...and keep moving forward.

No comments: