Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Can we ever retire from God?

One of my desires is to keep on ministering for as long as I can. I love ministry. I love what I do. That's not to say that what I do is easy, but there is a passion in my heart to shepherd and lead a group of people in a local church.

Did you know that the idea of retirement is not in the Bible? Now please don't jump to any conclusions. Retirement is not wrong. Leaving and job and moving to Florida or Arizona is not wrong.

But here's what I know. We can never (or perhaps I should say - should never)retire from serving God in ministry. What is ministry? Ministry is an act of service given in the name of Jesus.

Our lives should be based around eternal goals. Ministry to and for people that will have long term positive consequences.

Moses - 80 when he lead the people of Isreal out of Egypt.
Joshua - around 80 when he lead the people of Isreal into the land of Canaan.

I was reading this week of retired pastor Sam Duree, age 77, who could be enjoying his golden years in an easy chair. However, instead of just letting the days fly by, Duree is building birdhouses to support a Moscow seminary.

Duree spends four hours a day planning, sawing, sanding, drilling, gluing, and nailing cedar fence pickets in a workshop in his garage. He then hits the road with 35 different kinds of birdhouses, selling them at festivals and craft shows. Over the past six years, Duree estimates he has built about 3,000 birdhouses, raising $85,000 for Russia United Theological Seminary. Duree saw the need for the Moscow seminary during 14 mission trips to Russia and Siberia.

"We have to realize we're part of a global community, and we have a global ministry," Duree says. "I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. The good Lord has plans for us, and I'm doing what I can to carry them out."

Wow...I like that. Family is important. Our jobs are important. Staying healthy is important. But let's not forget that our lives are all about God, not about us.

We are on this planet to do something positive for Him.

No comments: