Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 04, 2007

I will not I feel

When I wake up some days, I just don't want to do right.

How about you?

It's not that I want to do wrong it's just that, well, I just don't want to right.

I don't feel like praying. I don't feel like reading the Bible. I don't feel like attacking the items on my to-do list. I feel like doing, nothing.

Then I remember the words of Paul in Philippians 2:13, "For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him."

The NIV says it this way: "For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

The Living Translation says desire, the NIV says will. Maybe will is a better word--will implies a choice, desire implies a feeling. Either way, on those blah days, my first order of business is to lay my desires, my will (or, perhaps, my "won't) before God and ask him to transform it by his mighty power.

I've learned something about this process (and this is why I quoted both translations today). When you make the choice to surrender to him, he changes your desires. Even when all you have to offer him is a "won't" , he can change it into a "will". He gives you the desire to obey him, and the strength to do what pleases him.

No comments: