Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Let me share with you a story of a wise man and then why I call him a wise man.

It's by Nard Pugyao, in his book, "Penetrating power."

He writes:

In March of 1956 (when I was about 6), a tall, pale white man stumbled into my home village of Dibagat in the northern jungles of the Philippine island of Luzon. The man didn't speak our language, so our elders asked him the best they knew how, "Why are you here?"

"I've come to learn your language," he said. "I'd like to write it down and then give you God's Word in your language."

"Who is your God?" the elders asked.

"He's the God of heaven and Earth," the man answered. "He's the Creator of the Universe. He created you, too."

"Is he powerful?" the elders probed. "More powerful than the spirits that have controlled our lives from the beginning of time? Is he more powerful that our ancestors, the head-hunters?"
"Yes, he's more powerful."

Hopeful, we started teaching this man, Dick Roe, our language. Maybe his God could free us from the spirits.

When I was about 13, Dick had to return to the United States to raise support for his ministry. But before he went back, he translated the Gospel of Mark and gave me a copy. While he was gone, I started reading the Bible for the first time, beginning with the Easter story and continuing through chapter 16. Sitting on top of a rock, I read the Gospel of Mark in my heart language. It felt like I was actually there, seeing the characters.

But the further I read, the more distressed I felt. A mob of people came to get Jesus out of the Garden of Gethsemane. What did he do wrong? I read as fast as I could. They accused him of all kinds of false things. They mocked him, spat on him, beat him, and took him before Pilate. Then the scourge and the crown of thorns. It was excruciating to read that they forced him to carry a wooden cross and then nailed him to it.

Deep in my heart, a hatred of God swelled. I shook my fist and shouted: "I hate you, God, for being so powerless! Why should I believe in a powerless God like you?" With all my strength I threw the Gospel of Mark down to the rocks and started walking home. I couldn't understand why God wouldn't protect his own Son. Our headhunters defended us to the death. Because of them, no one could touch us. I wanted a god like that, someone who would protect me from the spirits that demanded we sacrifice our cows, chickens, pigs, and dogs. This God didn't even save his own Son.

Suddenly, God reached down into my heart. "Nard, don't you understand?" I heard him say. "That's how much I love you. I gave my Son on your behalf." For the first time, I understood grace. I understood how much God loved me.

"God, if you love me that much," I prayed, "I want to give you my life, my heart. It's all yours." I went back and picked up my Gospel, brushed it off, and sat back on that rock to see what happened next. It was an incredible moment as I read that Jesus rose from the grave on the third day. Nobody in all of Dibagat, nobody from among the Isnag people, had ever risen from the grave. The resurrection story changed my life.

Why is Nard Pugyao a wise man? Because he let God's word change him.

Last night in our men's bible study we came across a great verse in James 3:13 (we spent the entire hour on the one verse).

Pastor James writes, "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." (James 3:13)

How do we know that someone is wise?

Look at their "good life." "Good life," means "to return or to turn back," with the root idea being to change or return to the truth. With this phrase, James is saying that a wise person is someone whose life is changing in accordance with the truth of God's Word.

It's probably the biggest difference between knowledge and wisdom. Wisdom meaning "applied knowledge."

I know a lot of people who have a lot of knowledge but they do a lot of stupid stuff.

I know many Christians who crave more knowledge of God's Word, but they have never taken the next step to wisdom or applying God's Word to their life.

May God help us to apply His Word! To not only read it but live it!

May God's Word change us today!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow, it takes a lot of wisdom to come up with that inspiring story. I've never looked at the difference between knowledge and wisdom as described there. It makes me think of all the people that refuse to accept Jesus because they don't understand how he can allow all the injustices to occur in our world. What we all need to realize, is that a lot of these things are due to the free will that he's provided us with. The world is overcome with selfishness. What I can do for myself. What's best for me. No one and nothing else matters as long as I can get to the top. The ones with knowledge may make it there, but the ones with wisdom make the lasting difference.