Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Becky going to college

We're taking Becky to college tomorrow. Michigan State. I have mixed emotions. I'm sad to see her go - yet happy for her because she is so excited.

She has set a goal (going to Michigan State), worked hard, and is now achieving it. I am very, very proud of her. I love her very, very much. Her smile, her personality, her charm, her ability to relate to people, the fact that she is very smart, hard and hardworking, she's just great!

I'm also thankful that she has a deep love for God.

Yet, it's hard to let go. It's hard to turn loose.

Part of the reason why we have such a hard time is the panic of losing control. It requires a lot of maturity to allow a child to grow up.

We are often hindered from giving up our children out of fear for their safety.

But what I am learning (and holding on to) is that everything is safe which is committed to our God. In fact, nothing is really safe which is not so committed. No child. No job. No friend. No future. No dream.

In the Old Testament is a story about Abraham and his almost-adult son Isaac.

The old man's happiness rested in that boy.

God comes to him and says, "take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah; and offer him there as a burnt offering." Genesis 22:2

God's saying, "it's time to turn your son loose."

Abraham could have started pleading or bargaining or manipulating, but that wouldn't have worked.

Abraham opened his hands and surrendered on that ancient altar the one thing that meant more than anything else to him in his life.

God's obviously not telling us to take our children and place them on a burnt altar!

But he is telling us to let them go. Hold them loosely, that he might reign in their lives.

What is it today that you need to release into the hands of God?

4 comments:

Charlie said...

I think you have to look closer and deeper, in this story to understand what Abraham knew about his God. If we had the same kind knowledge and relationship with Him, then we would also know, how to respond when God says let go.
Go ahead, read back a few chapters and find out what Abraham knew.
We can have this same confidence.
Charlie

Jon said...

I'm sure we have to let go and that it's a good thing in its time. And I know that Abraham knew God pretty well but I don't think that slowed his apprehension any as he was starting his downward strike with the knife. As humans, that's a scary thing and I admire Abraham for being able to do as God told him. I hope that I would be able to do as well in times when God calls me to do something. I don't know that I could remain calm if God told me to place my son on an altar and sacrifice him...and I don't know if my son could remain calm in those circumstances either. But the bottom line is that Abraham shows us how to follow God's will and let go of things that separate us from Him. Material things are just stuff, people are just people; God is eternal and is God. He is the one who we will spend eternity with...I pray that my sons are there with me but my total focus will be on God. As it should be every day...but I'm human and I fail. I get caught up in the day to day, and having stuff, and being a proud father, and loving people. The story of Abraham is not just about letting go, it's sometimes about sacrificing what is most important to you for the glory of God. Isaac was the son Abraham waited more than a hundred years for...he was the apple of Abraham's eye, to steal a phrase.

We need to let go of the stuff in our lives and focus on God. Focus on God's will for our lives and His plan for our path. God loves us and wants only the best for us. He will give us the desires of our hearts, as long as they are good for us, if we but turn to Him and follow His guidance always.

Love God, love people. Four simple words that mean the world.

Jon

Jon said...

How many days until sky diving?

Anonymous said...

I miss Becky.