Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

God's role in our joy; it starts in the morning!

I was reminded this week from a fellow blogger, that God plays a big, big role in our joy. We can ask God for joy! We can ask God for peace! On a daily basis!

I am frequently asked, "are you keeping busy?" I generally answer, "as long as there are people there are needs, and as long as there are needs, I am busy."

I hear bad news all day long. As a pastor, I am called to deal with this problem and that crisis and this delay and that complication—some days it's not quite as bad as that, but other days it feels like it'll never end.

I am learning (for sometimes I forget) that I'm most vulnerable to bad news first thing in the morning. When I get knocked down too early, it's hard to get back up (metaphorically speaking) and the whole day can be shot.

In fact, I am told that the first person you come in contact with each day, and there words or actions, will set the tone for the rest of the day.

I am doing what I can to immunize myself from this vulnerability: I try to start the day right. I read the Word, I review good things that are happening in my life (there are more than I can count) so that by the time I have to start dealing with situations, I'm emotionally and spiritually prepared for battle.

And when I get lazy, I pay the price. I get discouraged, frustrated, and gloomy. Not exactly the marks of a great man of God.

David said, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love." (Psalm 143:8)

1 comment:

Jon said...

Thanks for words from the German liaison! We miss you too Rick!

God is good each and every day. Man is less so, depending on the man (or woman, as the case may be) and attitude. Pessimistic people can be a very large drain on me. I believe that my God is a Great God, that there is nothing that He will not get me through, and that there are no storms in my life that He does not chart my path to safety through! But pessimistic people can drain me personnally until I sing my song...it doesn't have to be a specific song (I have several dozen) but it does remind me of the awesomeness of God, of His mercy and grace, of His love and kindness, and of His unwavering interest in making me a better man for Him! So, after I sing my song, my mind is clear and I am back to being optimistic (okay, I really don't think I ever leave optimistic, I just get drowned out by the pessimism in a room) and letting my joy in the Lord reach out to those out of touch with His power and blessings. I try to let people SEE the Lord in my face, in my actions, in my voice and in the things that I say! God can (and does) radiate in our faces when we are doing His work in His land.

So, may God smile upon you and bless you and sustain you through all the times of your life. May you remember that nothing is impossible to the Creator of the Universe so being optimistic is the only answer for His children. It almost seems sinful to be any other way...I remember a cartoon from when I was young and one of the characters always ran around and said, "We're doomed, we're doomed." They always survived and so will we as long as we trust in the Lord God Almighty!

Read His Word, Know His Word, Speak His Word, Sing His Word, Love His Word, and most importantly Love God, love people!

Jon