Total Pageviews

Monday, March 13, 2006

Are you a pessimist or an optimist?

Are you a peessimist or an optimist?

You can lead for any length of time without inherently being an optimist. While realism is part and parcel of any leadership role, within all of us as leaders is that nagging voice that says, "it's going to get better, things will change, the best is yet to come."

When it comes to pessimism versus optimism, the Bible doesn't leave us many options. If we believe in God (and believe the Bible) we can't help but be optimistic about the future—because, regardless of what happens in the interim, we know that ultimately every thing will work out for our good and God's glory.

Paul was just this great optimist. Even as he sat in a Roman jail, he could see the benefits of his imprisonment. He had no promised release date to look forward to, and the prison conditions were less than ideal, and yet he remained optimistic about the future. Listen to his words...

Everything that has happened to me here has helped spread the Good News. (v. 12)

Because of my imprisonment, many of the Christians here have gained confidence and become more bold. (v. 14)

I will continue to rejoice. For I know that as you pray for me and as the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, this will all turn out for my deliverance. (v.19)

For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better. (v. 21)

These aren't the words of a doomed man. Paul clearly believed the best about the future, because he believed in a God that is good, and powerful, and merciful, and loving.

Pessimism might come quite naturally to you, but the excuse "It's just my nature," doesn't work—any more than we can excuse off sins such as lust, laziness, or greed. The bottom line is that pessimism is a sin. It reveals a lack of faith in God, and anything that is not from faith is sin. [Romans 14:23]

Optimism is a choice. I don't believe it comes naturally to anyone. Those who seem to have a perpetually positive outlook on life have learned to make that choice.

If Paul can be optimistic in a Roman dungeon, then we shouldn't let a few disgruntled people ruin our day. That co-worker at your job, the person at the grocery store or even another brother or sister in Christ.

We can be optimistic, too. We can make the same choice he made: we can choose to believe the best about tomorrow, in spite of what is happening today, because we know that God is good. All the time.

What choice are you making today?

1 comment:

Jon said...

Oh, was that needed today...I know some very pessimistic people and I don't understand the phiolosophy. I would say that it is my faith in God that makes me optimistic but these folks hold the same faith. It may be that this is an area of their life that they need to work on, as there are many different areas in my life that I need to work on, for the future. But I know that God holds the future in His hands and that He has promised to prosper me if I follow His plan for my life. And, ultimately, in the end, I win through Christ as I get to spend eternity in heaven. So, I will work to uplift my brothers and sisters who are pessimistic (though they often get frustrated with my optimistic outlook) and get them to understand that God's viewpoint is optimistic...though He is sorrowed when we turn from Him...in that He is constantly hoping and seeking that we will turn to Him for salvation. Even as many times as we fall, God is there holding His arms out to us in hope and love and optimism that we can (and will) overcome sin in the end.

Good words today George...thanks for hitting close to my heart today.

Love God, love people.

Jon