Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

The thing in hand

Did you know that the "good" in our lives can be a hindrance to our walk with God?

That which preoccupies our mind and spirit.

Watchman Nee has written a chapter in his book, "The Release Of The Spirit," which explains this.

He gives the analogy of the father who asked his son to do a certain thing.

The sons answers, "Right now I have something in my hand; as soon as I finish it, I will do what you order."

"The thing in hand" is the thing which the son is doing prior to his father's orders.

What is the "thing in your hand," that is preventing you from a deeper walk with God?

It can be anything, even something good or important in our lives.

AS long as the outward man remains unbroken, we will full our "hands" with the things of this world (and even our religious interests, appetites, concerns and ministry."

So, when God comes knocking at our door, wanting to speak to our inner man, our inner spirit, we cannot hear.

So the "thing in hand" can block our way to drawing closer to God.

Watchman Nee goes on to use another analogy - comparing our human physical strength with the emotional and spiritual strength that we have in our lives.

I can only lift so much weight.  My physical strength is limited as to what I can and cannot do (especially as I get older).

As my physical strength is limited so is my emotional and mental strength.

For instance, I only have so much "love" to give around.  If I gave all of my attention, focus and love on one person, there would be nothing left for anyone else.  My "soul" strength" would be drained with nothing left to direct to others.

When we were raising our kids, I had to work at having enough relational energy to show my family every evening - after a day of helping and loving others in our church family 

Knowing that my family was first priority - it was still hard - in the emotional realm.  I would come home drained in my outward man.  My soul.

It is the same with our mind.  If my mind is focused on one thing; in all probability something negative, than I can't focus on anything positive or spiritual. 

Paul writes in Romans 8:2 that "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free form the law of sin and of death."

But why is this law of the Spirit of life not working in certain people?

Paul goes on to state, "The righteous requirement of the law should be fulfilled in us who walk according to Spirit."  (Romans 8:4).

In other words, the law of the Spirit of life works effectively only for those who are spiritual, those who focus on the things of the Spirit.

Who are these people?

Those who do not mind the things of the flesh.

"Mind" can also be translated "to be intent upon, to be attentive to."

You leave your child with the baby sitter, the baby sitter is going to take care of your child, or give attention to them.

You do not want your baby sitter to be on the phone, watching television and making a snack while your child sits in the corner!  You desire that your child gets her full attention.

IN the same way only those who are not intent on carnal things can pay attention to spiritual things. 

As long as we have "things in hand" in our mind - we cannot focus on God. 

What "things in hand" did you come into God's presence today?

What is keeping you from a full relationship with God?

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: