Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Being second guessed

Have you ever had second thoughts about something?

Wished you would have done something differently or in another way?

Debbie and I joke that when we were considering getting married, her dad said that she could marry me or he would by her a new car (true story).

The joke is that Debbie says, "some days, some days, I wish I had got that car."  :)

(When we first got married, I was an idiot - now I just have moments of idiocy).

Second guessing.

I call it, "watching a football game from your easy chair."

Second guessing the umpires.  Coaches.  Players.  Politicians. 

And yes, even pastors.

It is a national sport in America.

We all "second guess" - especially if something goes wrong.

If there is one thing I am learning through this sermon series in the gospel of John is that Jesus was constantly, daily, being second guessed.

By the Pharisees.  Sadducee's.  Sinners.  The "righteous".  His own family.

Jesus was constantly clarifying what He did or said.

I can relate to that.

As a church leader, I am constantly being "second guessed". 

It comes with the territory. 

Here's what I know if you are being second guessed:

- know who you are.  As I grow older, I am becoming very comfortable with my strengths, and my weaknesses.  I know who I am.  I know what I can and can't do.

- know what you want to do.  In other words, know your God-given goals.  As they are truly from God, stand strong in that.  Expect, "second guessing".  Know that you are doing what God has asked you to do.  Everybody will have an opinion (especially in the south land of Chicago).

- know that it takes time.  All good things, important things, helpful things take time.  Being willing to be patient while there are those around you who "second guess".

- know that  you have done the best you can.  In the end, as you and I receive a God-given goal, and we are faithful, doing our best, God will take care of the rest.

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: