Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Being a Christian and a head coach

I'm driving home last night listening to a sports talk radio show.

I became agitated.

The radio show host was speaking of Mike Singletary, the new football coach of the San Francisco 49ers, and a Christian man.

He was critical of Singletary's ability to be a good head coach because of his faith and the fact that Singletary is very open and "proactive" (my word) about his walk with Jesus....that Singletary would not be able to relate to the players.

Am I missing something here?

Tom Landry won two Super Bowls as a head coach and was a godly man.
Tony Dungy won a Super Bowl and is a godly man.

The list goes on.

The radio show host mentioned that one time he was sitting on a plane next to Singletary and that he read his Bible and highlighted it the whole flight.

A. Singletary did not press his faith on the man - he simply read his Bible.
B. What did he want him to read - a "men's" magazine?

Furthermore, at the end of his comments, he stated that Singletary was one of the most decent men he had ever met and really liked.

So to be a head football coach in the NFL you have to be indecent and unliked?

I reject that. How about you?

To me, and obviously I am biased, a man or woman's faith only enhances their ability in whatever sphere of work that are at. Especially when it comes to their ability to lead others.

Some of the greatest leadership principles you will ever read about have come from the life of Jesus himself.

By the way, I later heard Mike Nolan, in his "goodbye" press conference as the former head coach of the 49ers, state that he was all for Mike Singletary as head coach because he "had the heart of the players."

Again, am I missing something or what?

No comments: